I am coming to an end of my tolerance for Indian food-one can only take so much rice in a day. Seeing that we have rice, roti (a tortilla type bread), and a vegetable for lunch and dinner every day, I am beginning to go crazy. With that, my portions have become quite bird-like. Maybe I'll loose weight in India after all... probably not. :( Did I mention I haven't had red meat in 4 weeks? I didn't realize how much I enjoy it!
Today was a emotional day as one of the girls' moms became very sick last night; she has AIDS and herpes-her AIDS is in its last few stages. For some reason, she is also unable to move the whole right side of her body. Brother E and Sister L took the girl, Pahro, to a lawyer this morning to work out things with the will; I guess the mom owns some property and they want it to carry over to the girls' name. I guess they are taking the Pahro to go visit her mom right now. Her mom used to be a sex worker until she became "ugly" and sickly from her diseases. Pahro stays at Sharansthan and is always very positive and excited to be alive; she loves to chat with us and share about her life. However, today was different; she slept pretty much the whole afternoon and was very quiet and to herself, rightfully so. I can't imagine knowing that my mom is about to die from AIDS any day now... The trauma that these kids face throughout their lives is so incredible. His grace is the ONLY thing that is able to carry them through their pain and loss. In passing, a couple of girls were sharing their stories with me today... One said that her mom (sex worker) died from a heart attack 2 years ago and the other said that her mom is still a sex worker. They asked me if I had seen the RLD and I told them I had driven through it. "IT is very sad, a very sad place to see. It makes me want to cry; it is a very sad place," one said. I wonder what they would say if their English vocab was a lot more advanced? I am sure it would be even more heart wrenching...
Mini Story-There is a lady that lives at the children's home, among a couple others, that has been rescued from the red light district; there are about 3 or 4 women that live in the home 24/7 that used to be sex workers. One in particular that I am referring to was in the profession for 23 years! Okay, let me say that again. A lady that lives at Sharansthan was a sex worker for 23 YEARS! WHAT!? My mind cannot even fathom the life that she has faced. She had 2 kids, now she only has one. When she was working as a sex worker, her daughter was raped and killed. Her son, whom is still alive, is mentally disabled and apparently was molested frequently as a child. When she came to the home, the only thing she had to her name was the sari on her back. ...I can't even imagine how she is able to smile today-BUT DAD.
Did I mention that God is really teaching me about servanthood? In preparing for this trip, I assumed that I would have 6 weeks of opportunity to serve the people on India-WRONG! This culture is ALL about servanthood; they will not let me lift a finger no matter how hard I try. For example, everyday when I get to the home and go to the older girls' room, they are all sitting on this pile of "mattresses." As soon as I enter, they all jump off and say, "Sister, sit!" LOL. They are always bringing me coffee and tea, cold water and Pepsi. With that, the family gave up their bed and sleep on the floor in the living room for Jodi and me. Who does that in America? Americans would be like, okay here is a slepping bag, you can sleep in the living room or in the basement on the couch. How ghetto is that? .... These things I am realizing. ... In coming to SEU I thought I knew what being a servant was. Wrong! In coming to India, I thought I knew what being a servant was. Wrong! ... Maybe this is why God brought me to India.
I have really been connecting with the girls this week. I gave a devotional yesterday and they were all really receptive-it went very well! :) They are so eager to learn anything and everything... "Sister, talk to me in English!" "Sister, tell me a story!" "Sister, tell me about America!" "Sister, teach me more English!" Their hunger for knowledge provides a hunger in me I haven't tapped into in a long time, maybe even ever.
I am learning how to crochet a purse; one of the girls is helping me along. Her name is Devke and she is gorgeous. She is considered the hair expert in the home and her heart is so gentle and sweet; Dad is teaching me how to be so gentle here. I find Dad's call all throughout the Word for women to be gentle in spirit-This is a hard thing for me and something I have been praying about for years now. Maybe this is a reason why I came to India?
Today, I was laying down as this one girl was playing with my hair. So I am all relaxed and enjoying myself when she asks, "Sister, do you have lice?" Hahahaha. "No, I don't." They are SO funny sometimes with the questions they ask-they only know so much english and so they use every little bit to ask random, obnoxious questions! But no worries Mom, I don't have lice! ;)
Tomorrow is a very exciting day because we are flying to Kolkata to visit the Project Rescue home there. We will be there for about 3 nights and 3 days. I am looking forward to seeing yet another portion of India and to see what other incredible things the Father is doing through PR.
I am pretty excited about my most recent purchase..... Indian COFFEE!!! I got 5 bags for only $12! Can't beat cheap caffeine, I mean cheap coffee. I hope that it is good.
Well, that is all for now... I don't want to bore you with irrelevent details of my life. haha. Happy Friday!
2 week countdown until I'm on American soil begins today! ... However, I am REALLY going to miss this place...
No comments:
Post a Comment