Thursday, June 4, 2009

Chicken Curry for Thought

Did I ever mention that it is HOT here? WHEW! It is about 115-120 here all day every day! Yay! :D

On our way to the home this morning, we passed 3 weddings!! It seems as if there are weddings occurring every single day here in Nagpur. A normal Hindu wedding celebration last for about 3 days. The beginning of the festivities includes the groom riding on a decorated white horse with all the family walking along side and a marching band playing music as they walk. I recently began to believe that we Americans have it all wrong when it comes to marriage. Why is it that in a culture that is less than 15% Christian, the divorce rate is almost next to zero? Not to mention, most all of the marriages in India are arranged-you'd think the divorce rate would be higher. I say this not because I am a new proponent of arranged marriages, but because there is something that this culture has that America has lost sight of, no matter what their religion is. For example, the Indian culture is a VERY selfless culture; they will literally lay down their life for their friend, let alone a brother. In America's predominantly individualistic society, we only think and live for ourselves-"if it doesn't effect me, I don't care about it." Therefore, if we are suddenly uphappy in our marriage, "we deserve the right to be happy immediately," no matter how it may effect those that we "love." Maybe this is why the divorce rate in America is over 50% even in the church!? Hmm...

I recently found out that it is illegal to be homosexual in India. Wow! When I heard this, I didn't really know what to think-I believe that homosexuality is a sin but at the same time how can we help those that we outcast? Most all Indians are repulsed by homosexuals and some cannot even believe that it exists. When it is known that someone is gay, there have been instances where they are attacked physically in public. Because of this, there is a enclosed Muslim homosexual community here in Nagpur that is not open to the public. Even when they do go out in public, they have to be very secretive about their sexuality in fear of their life. Obviously, this culture is far behind America as far as acceptance goes-not that their behavior should necessarily be accepted.

Last night the kids put on a program for the mothers and the staff in celebration of the 7 year anniversary of Sharansthan. There were skits, dances, singing, and a special speaker; I was the designated photographer. :D Although I didn't understand a word throughout the whole program, it was still exciting to see the kids use their talents for the Lord-they are all so gifted!

I am reading Erwin's book entitled Wide Awake and it is reminding me how to dream again-I have been so used to filling my life with present tasks that I often forget to allow His to show me dreams about the future. If you are lost or confused about where Dad has you or where you are going, this book is a great place to start.

Tomorrow my mom has her doctor appointment to take the gauze off of her finger to see whether or not the surgery to sew her finger back on last week was a success. We are all praying that the finger will be pink and healing up even quicker than expected (I am claiming twice as fast!).

The Indian culture is teaching me so much more about servanthood than I could ever have learned from SEU. ;) They all are SO accomodating and extremely giving, even when they have literally nothing themselves. I am amazed to this day at how much they sacrifice for the satisfaction of others. Wow. May I never forget the importance of the willingness to lay my life down for a friend.

That is all for today-I love you all and miss you more than you know. Thanks for your continued support and prayers! :)

No comments: