Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Who do you serve?

Money or God? Bear with me as I preach to myself...

Today well I was at Panera with a friend, this (I'm assuming) homeless man came up to us and asked us for 50 cents. I though to myself, "alright, I can give the man 50 cents on my tight college budget..." So I get out my wallet and proceed to dig through my change to come up with the money. While doing so, he noticed the dollar bills I had in my wallet and says, "Well if you could give me a dollar I could use that too; I see you have a couple of dollars there." I replied, "Yea, I do have a couple of dollars. Are you going to eat here at Panera?" He said, "No, I am going across the street to McDonald's where it is cheaper." As I debated whether or not to give him a dollar, I remembered that there was NO McDonald's "across the street." However, I went on to agree with him and provide him with the 50 cents.

As I walked out of Panera, I selfishly thought to myself, "I work hard for my money, no man that is a liar will take it."


In my Integrating Faith and Social Work class today, guess what our topic was?! Preaching the good news to the poor... Woah! Talk about hit me in the face. Who am I to
1. Judge the man as to whether or not he will really go to McDonald's
2. How much money I THINK I should give him
3. What he will really spend the money on
4. The fact that he had on nice clothes and a CD player with headphones
In class, I was reminded of the fact that my money is not mine; it is a sin to see others in need, to have the resources and to deny them a blessing. What in the heck was I thinking? Those who hoard their money are serving an idol-money. Those who give away are serving a King-God, the ruler of ALL things.

I struggle with giving money to people who beg for it because I assume that they will use it for drugs or alcohol. However, God revealed to me something today that I will never forget... When my grandparents give me money for Christmas or my Birthday, they have certain things that they would prefer me to spend it on. Do I normally spend my money on these things? NO. THerefore, who am I to judge what others spend the money that I give to them on? If the homeless man decides to spend the money I gave him on alcohol, it is his dilemma... All I can account for is the fact that I was faithful to God and to His word.

Thank you God for your conviction and your Holy Spirit. May you give me a heart for what breaks yours. I love you. Show me your ways, lead me in your truth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow....what a word. Amen sista!